Monday, January 28, 2013

Teacher Evaluation & Student Responsibility

Sen. Gaetz says teacher eval system doesn't make sense | The Florida Current
State Senator Gaetz (R Florida) is correct in his assertion that "teacher" evaluation makes little or no sense. When will America stop scapegoating the classroom professionals. When will she end the use of the term "teacher" to identify those professionals who struggle with getting students to "LEARN"? Some 10-12 years into my classroom experience I had an epiphany. I could not "teach" my students. I realized that my responsibility was to be thoroughly knowledgeable in my subject area and to present course content in a manner that addressed the diverse "learning" styles of my students in as clear a manner as was possible. After that, what happened with students was out of my control. That is, a student will choose to either receive the information provided, process it, and do what is necessary for him/her to "LEARN" on the other hand, he/she, for whatever reason, may choose not to assimilate/process information. In the former instance, he/she will "pass" the course; in the later, he/she will fail. If this is true, is the "teacher" responsible for the "choices" students make? Does America not saddle the "teacher" with the responsibility for student behavior over which he/she has no control? It is pass time that American parents stop behaving as though they have no skin in the game. It is also time that children, beginning with pre-K, be informed that they are responsible for their education/learning; that will go a long way toward improving "education" in America. Wake up America, get on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment